Struggling to write a perfect resume? Let ChatGPT help you! Learn how to use ChatGPT to write a great resume and land your dream job.
When it comes to finding a job, one of the most important things to have is a well-written resume. However, not everyone has the time or expertise to create a resume that will stand out to potential employers—especially when every job ad has hundreds of people applying to it.
This is where ChatGPT comes in. While it’s not specifically a chatbot resume builder, this AI software is advanced enough to help you create a compelling CV. In this article, we will give you a step-by-step guide and provide you with helpful tips along the way.
How Does ChatGPT Resume Writing Work?
The AI behind ChatGPT is a powerful tool. If you ask it the right questions and give it the correct prompts, it can compose difficult emails for you or even write content and edit text. The same effective mechanism is not just helpful for your work; it can also help you find your next job role.
It’s important to note that ChatGPT resume building doesn’t write your CV from scratch. It can’t find information about you from the internet and devise a document accordingly. What it can do is rearrange, improve, and make suggestions on the information you provide it with.
Even then, the AI has a generic response when it comes to doing the work for you: “As an AI language model, I can provide you with tips and guidelines for creating a compelling resume, but I cannot create a resume on your behalf.”
In a lot of situations, ChatGPT will offer advice instead of writing the resume itself. But if you know the right follow-up queries to input, you can sometimes bypass them. Hopefully, with our examples, you can do just that.
ChatGPT Resume Example for a Specific Role
Most HR experts will tell you that you should have a resume tailored to each role you apply to. If you want to be considered as a serious candidate, you need to ensure your application showcases the qualifications that the job ad requires.
Even if you don’t have a resume ready, ChatGPT can help you figure out this process. It can look at a specific job advertisement, analyze it, and generate a template that you can use as a starting point.
As an example, we asked the AI to create a CV based on a job ad for an English teacher. Follow these steps, and input the job ad you want to apply to:
- Ask Can you help me write a tailored CV for a specific job description?
- After the AI’s answer, paste the full job description, or provide a link to the ad.
- The ChatGPT resume creator will then generate a resume based on the qualifications written in the ad, as well as a cover letter. This is a general CV, that you can use as a guide to understanding what you should include in yours.
- However, you can also ask the AI to put your info in that template. Ask Can you input my professional experience in the template that you gave and tailor it to the role?
- Then, input as much info as you can about your roles, companies, and responsibilities. As you can see from our example, the AI incorporates that into its suggestions from before.
This chatbot resume builder is far from perfect. Most of the time, the first response will not be ideal, and we suggest you use the Regenerate response button to get better results.
Even then, you should always go over what the AI suggested and ensure it best represents your experience. You might want to incorporate things from the template and from the actual CV it wrote, for better results.
Ask ChatGPT to Improve Your Resume
Another use of AI is to improve your existing resume. This is especially helpful if you’ve been applying to jobs and haven’t heard anything back.
- Ask ChatGPT: Can you improve my resume?
- Then paste or type your current CV into the box. Also, indicate what kind of roles you want to apply to, or what your goals are with rewriting.
- Following that, the AI will give you suggestions for improvements. If you want to go a step further, you can ask: Can you apply those suggestions and show me how it will look on my CV?
Once again, don’t just copy-paste the results. It’s always best to read it over and make sure it fits your needs and has all of the information.
Sometimes the AI will add info to embellish your CV, and qualifications that you don’t have. Be careful with that, as you don’t want to misrepresent yourself to your future employers.
Chatbot Resume Prompts and Tips
With those two examples, you can try to create a resume if you don’t have one, or improve one that you already have. However, there are a few more prompts you may want to try that can help with your job search. These are a little more advanced:
- Can you propose any other sections that I could add to my resume to emphasize my skills and experience?
- Can you incorporate quantifiable metrics to highlight project successes and achievements in my CV?
- Can you add industry-specific keywords to my CV to optimize it for ATS? (This is the system recruiters use to scan the internet for candidates).
Remember, even if the AI doesn’t give you the answer you’re looking for, you can always ask a more detailed question, rephrase your question, or regenerate its response. And the more detailed you get, the better the responses are.
Use ChatGPT Resume Writing as a Guide
Now that you know how to use ChatGPT to upgrade your resume, the sky is the limit. It’s all about knowing the right questions to ask, and how to ask them.
However, the final result should always be yours. While ChatGPT can give you great advice and suggestions, you are the one who has to show up to the job interview. Ensure you go over every section and make it your own, so your personality can truly shine through.